Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

WildCats Lose in Heart Breaker

Galenski posted two points in the loss on Wednesday
Galenski posted two points in the loss on Wednesday

For Immediate Release – 3/8/17 - #231
WildCats Lose in Heart Breaker

ATLANTA, GA – The Randolph College men's lacrosse team held a late lead against Huntingdon College on Wednesday night.  However, the Hawks scored two goals in the final 1:14 to win 9-8 in the neutral site game, hosted by Oglethorpe University.

Thanks to the play of Matt Lindenbaum, the WildCats took control of the game early on.  He saved a shot after the Hawks had a man-up opportunity.  The 'Cats successfully cleared the ball after his save, and ripped two shots on goal.  Shane Soghomonian's went into the back of the net at 9:37, giving Randolph the 1-0 lead.

Ryan Campbell picked up the ground ball on the ensuing faceoff, giving Prince Charles the win, but the WildCats slowed it down.  Eventually, HC got the ball back, but another turnover followed.  The 'Cats then were given a man-advantage as well and capitalized.  Campbell found Graham Southwick, who shook the netting for a the 2-0 lead heading into the second.

Charles won the opening faceoff of the second period, and the WildCats made short work of tallying again.  This time, Jacob Galenski found Soghomonian, who scored for the second time of the game, putting the lead at 3-0.

The defense was forced to step up after that goal.  Lindenbaum made two big saves, while another shot was blocked by a defender.  Caleb Shockley also caused a turnover, starting a break.  However, the Hawks were the next to find the net, scoring with 2:13 left in the half.  The WildCats responded soon after, with Mitch MacDonald firing one home from the left side.  However, in the waning moments of the quarter, Huntingdon scored, notching the score at 4-2 entering the half.

Randolph came out strong in the third quarter, winning the opening faceoff and firing several shots on goal.  The team could not capitalize, but Soghomonian forced a turnover in the offensive end, scooped up the loose ball, and completed his hat trick at the 11:05 mark.  The WildCats continued to push looking for another tally, but HC responded with back-to-back tallies to end the period, with it being 5-4 to start the fourth.

Huntingdon continued with the momentum in the final period, opening the scoring with two-straight goals.  The Hawks first lead of the game lasted for six more minutes, but did not grow as Lindenbaum made another save and Spencer Matthews forced a turnover.  Finally, after registering several shots, Randolph tied the score at six, as Galenski's shot hit the netting with 8:27 left in the period.  Scott Wilkinson had the assist.

The first-year's goal started a quick exchange between the two teams.  HC retook the advantage at 6:28, with Southwick tying it off a pass from Kadri Hearns less than a minute later.  Then Brett Pausic pulled the WildCats back into the lead with five minutes remaining.  However, despite Lindenbaum and Matthews getting possession back for the 'Cats on separate occasion, the Hawks still had the late chance.  Huntingdon scored the first with 1:14, and sealed the win with the second as only 27 seconds remained on the board.

Charles had another solid day at the 'X', going 11-18 and picking up three ground balls.  Campbell led the way with four.  Soghomonian had three points on the three goals, while Southwick and Galenski each had two.  Austen Saucier and Kendrick Ballard each tallied twice for the Hawks (5-4 overall).

Randolph (1-2) will finish its two-game swing through Atlanta on Thursday.  The WildCats take on Oglethorpe (1-7) at 1 p.m.