Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

WildCats Drop Nonconference Tilt to SU

Campbell had five ground balls and a goal in the game on Thursday

For Immediate Release – 3/16/17 - #241
WildCats Drop Nonconference Tilt to SU

LYNCHBURG, VA – The Randolph College men's lacrosse team played Susquehanna University in a nonconference game on Thursday night.  The River Hawks won 13-6 on a cold evening.

The WildCats took two early leads in the game, with one coming in the opening seconds of the contest.  Seventeen seconds after Ryan Campbell picked up the opening faceoff, Shane Soghomonian drove across the crease, and fired it home.  Campbell picked up another ground ball on the following faceoff, and Brett Pausic had a good look, but it was saved.  A series of turnovers saw the ball come back to SU, and Preston Ouellette tied the game at 11:22.

Once again, both teams lost possession, with McKinzie Garnett forcing one.  He scooped up the loose ball and started a clear.  The break led to Christian Shanley coming down and ripping one into the back of the net, to retake the lead.  However, Andrew Porzio responded 17 seconds after that goal, tying the score again.  The 'Cats had several chances over the final minutes of the period, but it would be Susquehanna who would go into the second with a 4-2 lead.

SU continued its run to start the second, scoring at 12:38.  But the WildCats responded quickly.  Soghomonian drove near the crease again, and hit a cutting Scott Wilkinson.  Wilkinson was pushed as he finished the tally off.  However, the River Hawks came back and brought the lead back to three shortly after.  Matt Lindenbaum made two stops, and Bryan Ramey and Spencer Matthews forced turnovers over the final minutes of the half, but SU made it 7-3 going into the break.

After both teams had a couple of opportunities to start the third with nothing to show for it, both tallied in quick succession.  Chet McLaughlin made it 8-3 with 13:17, picking up a loose ball and scoring.  However, Campbell controlled the next faceoff and after working some clock off, drove around the right side of the team and fired one home.  The 'Cats had several strong shots throughout the rest of the period, including a Graham Southwick rip that hit post, but could not find the back of the net.  The defense also played well, with Matthews, Ramey, and Lindenbaum all forcing turnovers, but Porzio added a late tally to bring the score to 9-4.

However, the WildCats made a nice push to start the fourth, bringing back two goals in quick succession.  Soghomonian found the back of the netting for his second of the night with 13:52 on the clock.  Lindenbaum then made a big save and started a tough clear.  Josh Yeast picked it up and flipped it to Mitch MacDonald, who went back post to bring Randolph within three with 12:51 left.  Unfortunately, it was all Susquehanna the rest of the way, as the team scored four-unanswered tallies to win 13-6.

The WildCats continued to be successful at the 'X', winning 13 of 22 attempts.  Prince Charles won eight of them, while Alex Leyva went 4-5.  Charles picked up five ground balls, which tied a team-high with Campbell and Matthews.  Matthews also posted three CTs, with Ramey and Yeast each causing two.  McLaughlin finished with five goals and an assist for the River Hawks (6-1 overall).

Randolph (2-4, 0-1 ODAC) continues its home stand on Saturday, while returning to Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) play.  The WildCats host Randolph-Macon College (4-3, 1-0) at 1 p.m.