Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Randolph Rallies to Defeat Guilford 2-1 to Clinch Playoff Spot

Men's soccer player looking upfield
Anthony Fonnesu scored the game-winning goal in the 81st minute

GREENSBORO, N.C.- Trailing 1-0 in the second half, the Randolph men's soccer team tied and then scored the winning goal with less than 10 minutes remaining to defeat Guilford 2-1 on Tuesday night. The WildCats conclude regular season play with a record of 9-8 overall and 4-5 in the ODAC. The Quakers finish 2-16 and 2-9.

The win clinches a spot in the upcoming ODAC Tournament. The WildCats tied with Eastern Mennonite but will be the seventh seed due to Randolph's 4-2 head-to-head victory over the Royals back on September 23. EMU will be the eighth seed.

Guilford took the lead early in the first half. A foul on the WildCats granted the Quakers a free kick. Rick Aguilar was able to tap in the offering from Omar Solis past Randolph goalkeeper Erick Cortez-Martinez (Winston-Salem, N.C./North Forsyth) and the hosts had a surprising 1-0 lead.

The 'Cats had three shots on goal in the first but all were denied by Quaker goalie Michael McShane. Randolph had a corner kick with time winding down in the frame but could not get a shot off as Guilford went into halftime with its 1-0 advantage.

In the second half, the Quakers had chances to increase their lead. A shot by Cameron Auzenne at 50:47 was turned away by Cortez-Martinez and 49 seconds later, Jason Aguilar's shot attempt hit the post.

In the 68th minute, the WIldCats finally broke through. Cristian Irigoyen (Norfolk, Va./Granby) was able to head a long free kick by Adam Watson (Richmond, Va./Midlothian) into the back of the net to knot the contest at 1-1.

Irigoyen would assist on the winning goal less than 13 minutes later. On a throw in, Irigoyen found Anthony Fonnesu (Hickory, N.C./Hickory) who headed the ball into the goal for the score to give Randolph a 2-1 lead.

The Quakers were not about to let up. With time ticking down, Guilford had possession near the WIldCat goal and looked to send the game to a possible overtime period. The 'Cats would have none of that as Cortez-Martinez turned away a shot and the defense blocked two attempts including one just before the final horn.

Randolph led in total shots 18-12 and in corners 11-4. Both teams had six shots on frame.

Cortez-Martinez had three saves in goal. The WildCat defense came away with two saves. McShane had four saves for the Quakers.

Randolph will travel to Roanoke on Saturday for quarterfinal play. The WildCats will look to avenge a 2-1 defeat at the hands of the Maroons a week ago.