Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Randolph Knocks Off Roanoke 2-1 in ODAC Quarters

Adam Watson action shot
Adam Watson scored twice to lead the WildCats

ROANOKE, VA.- Adam Watson (Richmond, Va./Midlothian) scored a pair of goals as the Randolph men's soccer team upset Roanoke 2-1 in the quarterfinals of the ODAC Tournament on Saturday night at Kerr Stadium. The WildCats now advance to the semifinals next weekend.

Randolph won despite being outshot 11-8 in the contest. Of those 11 shots, three came on frame (all by Watson) with the Maroons registering five on goal.

Watson's two goals ended a personal seven-match scoreless streak. His last goal came on September 23 against Eastern Mennonite. It was also his first two-goal performance since September 2 against Sewanee.

The WildCats were outshot early on in the first half but held their ground. In the 32nd minute, the 'Cats got a break as a foul was called on Roanoke inside the box. Watson came up to attempt the kick and buried it to give Randolph the 1-0 lead.

Roanoke had a good look at a score later on in the half. A header by Cole Thornton hit the crossbar and then another shot attempt by Thornton was stopped by Randolph keeper Erick Cortez-Martinez (Winston-Salem, N.C./North Forstyth) and the 'Cats went to the half still ahead 1-0.

In the second half, the WildCats hit pay dirt on their first shot attempt of the frame. Evan Blow (Charlottesville, Va./Charlottesville) sent a cross in to Watson who headed the ball in past Maroon goalie Nick Tadros and the Randolph lead was now 2-0 at 56:40.

The Maroons got on the scoreboard in the 63rd minute just like the WildCats first did. A yellow card on Cristian Irigoyen (Norfolk, Va./Granby) inside of the box granted Roanoke a penalty kick. Tim Mahabir sank the shot and the score stood at 2-1 WildCats.

Randolph controlled the game from there on out as it held the Maroons to two shots the rest of the way. The WildCats were able to chip time off the clock with a succession or corner kicks.

Cortez-Martinez came up with four saves in goal for Randolph. Tadros had one stop for the Maroons.

Randolph moves on to face Washington and Lee next Saturday at Lynchburg's Shellenberger Field. The Generals defeated Bridgewater 2-0 earlier today. Game time will be announced.  The WildCats will be looking to avenge a 1-0 defeat at the hands of the Generals back on October 4 at WildCat Stadium.